Updated: Jan 14
By Karen Goodchild, OK Doe K Dairy Goats, courtesy of Fabulous Feasts Medieval Cookery and Ceremony Page 10 Volume 30 Issue 4 1
8 inch unbaked pastry pie shell
1 pound brie with rind
6 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon saffron
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Bake pastry shell “blind” to harden for 10 minutes at 425, Cool. Reset oven to 375.
2. Remove the rind from the chilled cheese and cut the rind into small pieces with a moistened knife. Reserve.
3. Beat softened brie cheese, yolks, ginger, brown sugar, saffron, and salt until smooth.
4. Pour into pastry shell.
5. Strew cut rind evenly over the surface of the pie.
6. Combine cinnamon with white sugar and sprinkle around the pastry edge.
7. Bake until set and golden brown, about 30 minutes at 375.